The state fair is a major event in Minnesota. Some people even go twice a year. There’s definitely plenty to do – and win. Here are some facts from the state fair website you may not know about the fair.
- The Minnesota State Fair first took place in 1859.
- Before the fair found its current home, it was held in towns including Red Wing, Owatonna and Rochester – as well as St. Paul and Minneapolis.
- The state fair was not held in 1861, 1862, 1893, 1945 or 1946. The reason it was not held in 1946 was because of polio.
- This year’s new foods at the fair include:
- Bowl O’ Dough (cookie dough that comes in a choice of four varieties)
- Cherry Bombs (battered and deep-fried red licorice)
- Deep-Fried Avocados (also battered and deep-fried); and
- Memphis Totchos (tater tots with bananas, bacon and peanut sauce).
- New things to do or see at the fair.
And some other news? This year you can win $7,000 to spend on home exterior products at Minnesota Exteriors. Each year, we increase the giveaway to reflect our anniversary. Last year was our sixty-ninth year in business, so the prize was $6,900 to spend with us. This year is our 70th year in business … so you could win $7,000. You could spend the prize on windows, siding, gutters or doors. You could even put it towards roofing. It’s your choice. It’s our opportunity to thank the community for so many years of business!
Come see us at the fair and get entered in the giveaway. Our booth is across from the big slide. So eat some treats, ride some rides, and come visit us. This could be the year you win thousands of dollars to make home improvements. We wish you lots of fun memories at the fair!