Trust is important in any business dealing, but it’s especially important when you choose a home exterior company. The quality of home exterior contractors’ work can affect your family’s comfort and your home’s energy efficiency. And, home improvement projects are a substantial financial investment. You need to be able to trust that a company will treat you fairly and provide high-quality work. How can you tell if you can trust a home exterior company? And what should you be able to trust that they will do? Here are some qualities to seek … and what you can expect a trustworthy company to do.
How can you tell if a home exterior contractor is trustworthy?
It’s worth doing some research before you choose a home exterior company. Ask these questions about a contractor before you make a commitment:
• Has a company built up a relationship with the community? Have they won awards or been chosen for television shows or charity events?
• How long have they served your geographic area? Have they worked in your town for years? Or, did they drive in because a storm hit?
• Are they licensed and insured? You can ask to see a contractor’s license. Find out about their insurance, as well.
• What do other customers say? Check reviews, the Better Business Bureau website, and customer references.
• Do they stand behind their work? Do they offer a warranty on installation, as well as product warranties?
What should you be able to trust that a contractor will do?
When you work with a home exterior contractor, you should be able to trust that they will:
• Explain your options thoroughly and honestly
• Be knowledgeable about products and services
• Be friendly and pleasant to deal with
• Respect your budget
• Keep you informed about your project
• Offer high-quality products
• Provide efficient, skilled installation
• Clean up their work area carefully
• Follow up with you if you have any questions
At Minnesota Exteriors, it’s important to us to be a company you can trust. We’re a third-generation, family-owned company. Providing excellent service is something we take personally. During 70 years of business, we’ve built up a strong relationship with the Twin Cities community. We’ve won awards and appeared on television shows. We’ve posted customer references on our website. We also offer a Lifetime Workmanship Warranty on installations. When you come to Minnesota Exteriors, you can trust that you will receive skilled workmanship, quality products and conscientious customer service.
Cleaning your siding can help your home look bright and appealing. There is an array of siding options available: Here is how to give three kinds of siding a good wash.
Vinyl siding has earned a reputation for being low-maintenance, and for good reason. When it’s time for a cleaning, you can spray vinyl siding with a hose. You could also clean it by hand. Depending on manufacturer instructions, you might also use a power washer. Check your care instructions – they may suggest using a mixture of common cleaning products to get your siding looking pristine.
Engineered wood siding
To clean engineered wood siding such as LP SmartSide, stay away from pressure washers. Instead, get out a pail and a brush or rag. Fill the pail with water and gentle detergent. Then wipe down your outside walls. Finally, rinse your home exterior with a hose.
Fiber cement siding
If you have James Hardie fiber cement siding, you can clean it with a light water spray or a hose. You can also use a cloth or gentle brush, but avoid using anything very scratchy. You can use gentle detergent, as well.
This is some general information, but the golden rule is: Follow manufacturer instructions. Manufacturers may have specific guidance about how to take care of a certain brand or product. Also, safety first: Keep water away from electricity. Before using a power washer on your home exterior, turn off the breakers to outside electricity. It’s smart to turn off the outside electricity even if washing your home with a hose, brush or by hand.
Many types of siding can look beautiful for years. Once you know the best way to clean your siding, you can help keep your home looking fresh.
To learn more about your siding – or which siding would be right for you – come visit us at Minnesota Exteriors. We have a large showroom in Osseo where you can view many products in person. Chat with our friendly staff. We’ll help you find the answers – and products – you need to keep your home looking lovely.
Wood window frames have a charm all their own. They add a sense of elegance and warmth to your home. They take some maintenance, but the effort can be well worth it. Here are four tips to help you enjoy your wood window frames year after year.
1. When you purchase new windows, hang on to the user guide. Take the time to read through the manufacturers’ guide to your windows. Store it in a place where you can easily find it later. The guide should explain in detail how to care for your particular product. 2. Keep them clean and sparkling. Wipe down wooden window frames with warm water. You can use gentle dish soap if you’d like, just be sure to wipe the frames again afterwards to make sure the soap is gone. Follow any manufacturer instructions. You may want to dust the frames as well, before washing them. 3. Clean panes before frames. While you’re cleaning window panes, the dust, dirt or cleaning product can escape onto frames. So clean panes first and frames second. 4. Give your windows a regular check-up. Is paint flaking off? Wood window frames need paint or stain in good condition. Is the wood cracking? Cracks may call for some filler. And, how about the outside caulking? Make sure your window is all sealed up. And, although it’s not fun to say, it’s smart to check wood windows for signs of rot.
With regular maintenance, wood window frames can add a lovely touch to your home and last a long time. Plus, they are strong insulators.
To learn more about your frame options, visit us at Minnesota Exteriors. We have a large selection of wood frames and can talk with you further about their advantages and maintenance. We can also discuss vinyl and fiberglass frames with you. When you visit us, you’ll find high-quality brands and a variety of styles. Whatever your needs, our priority is to help you find a frame material that’s both beautiful and a good fit for your lifestyle.
All home exterior companies are not the same. And whether you’re replacing your roof, getting new siding, or installing windows, your home improvement projects are sizable investments. It’s smart to do some background research before choosing a company to work on your home. Consider looking up contractors on the Better Business Bureau website. Ask contractors for customer references. And ask, what relationship does a company have with product manufacturers?
Asking about a company’s relationship with manufacturers may not be the first question to come to mind. But it can tell you a lot about a company. The way a contractor deals with manufacturers can impact you, both now and in the future.
Minnesota Exteriors has its own distribution company, North Country Distributors, Inc. Through this distribution company, we work closely with manufacturers. This relationship benefits our customers. Here are five advantages this relationship can provide:
Keeping costs down. Having our own distribution company helps us avoid “middlemen”. And that helps our customers save money.
Access to new products. Manufacturers may let us see newly introduced products relatively quickly. They realize we can give them helpful feedback.
Viewing large samples. Our warehouse occupies 100,000 square feet – that’s enough space to store a lot of product. We’d be happy to give you a tour. Come see what many products look like full-size: That way, you don’t have to base your decision on what a miniature version looks like.
Clout with manufacturers. If a product has a manufacturing issue or product defect, we have clout with the manufacturer to help make things right.
Saved time. Another advantage of having an in-house distribution center is that it can allow for faster turn-around times on your project if we stock the material.
As you choose a home exterior company, there are a variety of factors to consider. As you do your research, find out how a potential contractor works with manufacturers – a close relationship can give you advantages that benefit you in the long run.
To find out more, come visit us in Osseo or give us a call. A third-generation, family-owned company, MEI is deeply invested in providing quality products and workmanship. We have the resources to help your project run successfully.
When your home needs new siding, one of the major questions to decide is, what do you want it to look like? You have a world of options to choose from. With the siding choices available, you can update your home and give it a new, beautiful look. Here are some of the options to consider as you pick out your siding.
• Colors. Home siding is available in nearly a rainbow of colors. You can choose from reds, yellows, greens, blues and browns, as well as creams and tans. In addition to your main siding color, you could even choose trim in a different color or neutral.
• Texture. Home siding can have a woodgrain texture, whether you choose engineered wood, vinyl, fiber cement or even steel siding. Or, with some types of siding, you can choose a smooth texture.
• Vertical or horizontal. In addition to horizontal siding, you can choose siding that goes straight up and down. You could also include both vertical and horizontal siding on sections of your home, for contrast.
• Cultured stone. You can add the look of stone to your home – and perhaps more easily than you think. Cultured stone is available in beiges, browns and greys. The stone appearance is lovely, and it adds elegance and contrast to your home exterior.
Choosing new siding can be an exciting process. There are so many colors and options available. New siding can give your home exterior a fresh appearance. You can find a color and texture you’ll be happy with for years.
To help you decide what kind of new siding you’d like best, come visit our large Osseo showroom. It’s one of the biggest showrooms of this type in the Metro area. You can browse many of your options in person and chat with an experienced professional. Come see us and tell us about your home. We’ll give you a tour and show you some striking options.
After a hailstorm hits your neighborhood, it’s smart to have a home exterior company check your home for storm damage. But you should also check the home exterior company, to make sure they’re the qualified, trustworthy provider you’re seeking. Here is what home exterior contractors should check – and what you should check about them.
What contractors should check during a storm damage inspection
Storm damage is often not easy to see right away. But if it’s not fixed, it can lead to further issues. That’s why, if you suspect a storm has impacted your home, it’s wise to ask a contractor to take a look at your home exterior. Here are some of the places a trained professional should look:
What you should check about your storm damage contractor
When you allow contractors to check (and possibly repair) your home, you want to make sure they are skilled and conscientious. Here are some questions to ask before someone to works on your home:
• What insurance do you have?
• May I see customer references?
• Can you show me your contractor’s license?
• What warranties will I receive?
• Where are you based? How long have you worked in this area?
After storms, sometimes “storm chasers” drive in from out of town to offer repairs. They may be easy to find at first, but harder to locate if there are problems later. To help make sure you are dealing with a reputable company, ask a few questions. It’s not being nosy or rude. A trustworthy, qualified contractor will understand why you need to ask – and be glad to furnish the answers.
Minnesota Exteriors is happy to provide free storm damage inspections. We’ve served Minnesota customers for 70 years. A third-generation, family-owned company, we take personal pride in delivering excellent service. If you think your home may have suffered storm damage, invite us to take a look. We’ll take great care of your home – and you can be confident we’ll be here if you have any questions.
There comes a point when your home needs new roofing shingles. Perhaps a contractor has told you it’s time, or maybe you’re building a new house. Whatever the case, when you need to choose new shingles, there are several considerations to keep in mind. Here are four questions to think about.
1. What appearance are you seeking? Do you want the look of wood or slate? Is natural wood a must for you? Do you want your roof to have a bold hue or a more neutral tone? Should your shingles be an eye-catching pattern or a more conventional shape? 2. How important is budget? Is staying within a budget and keeping costs down a high priority? Or are you okay with paying more for a premium line? 3. Are you looking for other features as well? Some shingles are made to be extra strong against wind and snow. Some shingles help guard against ultraviolet rays. Others are especially impact-resistant. Are there certain qualities you are seeking? 4. What roofing company should you choose? Roofing is a significant investment, so select your contractor carefully. Find out, do they offer a warranty on installation, in addition to manufacturer warranties? What is their rating on the Better Business Bureau website? How long have they served your area? Feel free to ask questions. A reputable roofer will be happy to answer.
Purchasing new roofing shingles is an important decision. The right roofing company will help you explore your options. They’ll educate you about your choices and pay attention to your priorities.
At Minnesota Exteriors, we’ll work side-by-side with you as you choose new roofing. We’ll provide a friendly, no-pressure consultation. You can browse through many products in our large showroom. And when we install your roofing, you can feel confident you’ll receive high-quality workmanship. We have skilled installation crews, and we offer a Lifetime Workmanship Warranty on installation.
Come visit us in our Osseo showroom or give us a call. We’ll help you find shingles that suit your home well and put your mind at ease.
When you update your home exterior, the changes will be with you for years. The products you pick need to fit your family’s specific needs. That’s why you should be able to choose from multiple options: multiple brands, multiple styles and multiple materials. This is especially the case when you’re choosing replacement windows.
The windows you choose will affect your family in many ways. Your window choices can affect what kind of maintenance you’ll need to provide, how energy efficient your home will be, and even how you’ll be able to let in fresh air. Windows also play an important role in your home’s beauty and curb appeal.
That’s why when you are shopping for new windows, you should work with a company that can offer you a wide variety of options. Some providers may only offer a few choices. Make sure to work with a company who can show you many kinds of replacement windows.
Here are some of the choices you should be able to make:
What frame material would you like? Wood, vinyl, fiberglass or composite?
What style do you want? Bay windows, sliding windows, casements, picture windows … the list of possibilities continues.
What brand do you prefer? How about Andersen, Lindsay, Weather Shield, or Infinity from Marvin?
What features do you choose? Double pane, triple pane, low-E coatings?
For your family, it may be especially important that windows are low maintenance, strong or energy efficient. The right company will help you find just the options you are seeking.
At MEI, we believe in the Power of Choice. We offer high-quality brands and a wide range of styles. Whether you want wood windows to suit a historic home, efficient windows to conserve energy, or a beautiful picture window to gaze through, we can help you. We’ll listen to your needs and walk you through your options. When you work with us, you’ll feel confident you have the information – and the choices – you need to find just the right windows for your home. Come see us in Osseo to learn more about your options.