As the end of 2017 draws near, you may be thinking of New Year’s resolutions. As you plan what you’d like to achieve in 2018, remember to think about your home exterior. What maintenance or projects would you like to complete in the new year? Here are seven smart goals for your home.
1. Make sure your attic has effective insulation. This can help prevent ice dams. If you’re not sure how well your attic (or the rest of your home) is insulated …
2. Have an energy audit done. An energy audit can help you discover what you can do to make your home more energy efficient. Then the savings can really add up.
3. Prepare an emergency kit for your home. Hopefully you won’t have to use it, but stored supplies come in very handy if there is a power outage. From Elk River to Eden Prairie, it’s a good idea to pack away some flashlights, blankets, water and non-perishable food. And remember supplies for your pets!
4. Keep your gutters clear and in good repair. Whether or not water can successfully drain away from your home can make a significant difference in your home’s well-being.
5. Clean your siding – and entry doors. Giving your home exterior a good wash can help it look fresh and bright.
6. Have your roof inspected. Winter snow and summer rain can make an impact on shingles. It’s wise to find damage and repair it before it becomes worse.
7. Clean windows and check for leaks or cracks. The world looks so much brighter through clean windows. And keeping windows well-sealed and maintained can help you conserve energy.
Your home is such an important part of your life. So while you’re making goals for the New Year, remember to plan what you’d like to do with your home. Perhaps it’s time for new siding, windows or roofing. Or perhaps your home could use a refresh with exterior accessories like shutters or manufactured stone veneer. Whatever your needs, let us know how we can help. A trusted company, we’ve helped Minnesota families improve their homes for 70 years. We can help you keep your home beautiful and well-maintained in the new year.